Livingston Classical Academy teaches Latin to its students for the following reasons:
- Latin is a powerful vocabulary builder. Over 50% of English words come from Latin. One single Latin word may represent the roots of five to ten English words. By learning Latin prefixes and endings, as well as Latin roots, students are capable of comprehending many English words that they’ve never heard.
- Training in Latin also lays the foundation for learning other Latin-based (Romance) languages like French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian.
- For professional careers like medicine and law, Latin provides the base for many technical terms and names.
- The precision of Latin and Greek provides their students with an English linguistic tool that cannot be achieved in any other way. Using the right word, at the right time, and in the right context is empowered by the study of classical languages.
- FACT: Students who takes 2 years of Latin score an average of 152 points higher on the SAT test.
- After one year of Latin, students have been shown to progress 4-12 months ahead of their peers in spelling, reading, vocabulary, science, history, and math problem solving.